Earlier this week President Obama announced the creation of three new national monuments. President and Mrs. Herbert Hoover made their own contribution to the national landscape 83 years ago when they donated a presidential retreat they built in the Blue Ridge Mountains to the Commonwealth of Virginia. The retreat, Camp Rapidan, was incorporated into Shenandoah National Park. The Hoovers bought the 164 acres in 1929 and erected 13 structures on the property, three of which have been restored, including "The Brown House". Many of the trails, bridges, and trout pools remain. (President Hoover was an avid fisherman.) Visitors to the Camp included the aviator Charles Lindbergh and President Franklin Roosevelt. President Roosevelt found the terrain too rough around the retreat because of his paralysis and eventually established another presidential retreat (Camp David) in the Catoctin Mountains of Maryland. President Jimmy Carter was the last president to visit Camp Rapidan.