Next in the series of posts about the White House gardens is a look at the Rose Garden. For many of us it is already a familiar scene as we have watched and witnessed from our viewing devices presidents of the United States as they participate in momentous occasions or hold press conferences there. The Rose Garden has existed in various forms since 1913 when First Lady Ellen Wilson replaced a colonial garden with a rose garden. The latest version dates back to President John F. Kennedy, who wanted a place where ceremonies could be held outdoors. First Lady Jacqueline Kennedy was interested in having the garden reflect those of Presidents Washington and Jefferson. President Kennedy took more than a passing interest in the garden, learned about the roses planted there and generally kept an eye on things which was not difficult to do as the Rose Garden is adjacent to the Oval Office. The Rose Garden has evolved so now it includes a broad lawn surrounded by flowers and trees.